Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bama fans are confident

Overconfident?


    No one has ever accused Alabama fans of being timid.  In fact, most of us Alabama fans are thoroughly surprised if the Tide loses. Under Saban that hasn't happened very often. I have a little bit of old school in me it appears. Worry is an intricate part of my personal pre-game rituals. I got the tee shirt, the hat, the stuffed elephant, and the other good luck charms that have become a part of getting ready for the big game.  All of those things are displayed in one way or the other up front where you can see them.  One other thing, worry, hides over in the corner of the room never far away. I've tried over the years to shake that demon and exorcise it out of house. It will not go away. It's not like my head spins around or anything like that. But I have to admit the LSU game scares me. If we are up four touchdowns with 5 minutes left on the clock, I'll still glance over the sofa and see if Worry is still hanging around.



       I keep seeing this 10-12 point spread. I listen to all the talk show hosts, read on ESPN how good we are, and how the Tigers are not going to be able to keep up with Bama. Look, we are playing LSU in Deaf Valley at night. There will three distinct odors in air in Baton Rouge on Saturday night - testosterone, bourbon, and fear.  If you have never had the pleasure of taking in a game at night at LSU you've missed something very special. Or not so special depending on your point of view. I love the atmosphere. Let me set the record straight. LSU fans are not the most rude and arrogant fans in the world - they are worse than that.  They always have been that way and always will. There is not a lot to do in Louisiana. Okay, they do have New Orleans  and gambling. Most important of all in Louisiana is Tiger football. I know that Tulane has a team. It's kinda like UAB with gumbo. Louisiana has a lot of teams that play football. Only one team matters, and that team wears purple and gold. I am somewhat relieved that the Tigers will be wearing those colors but will be seeing red. The red of Alabama has proven to the football nation 14 times they are the best of the best. If Alabama can beat LSU I think they will prove it for the 15th time.
     LSU is not going to just roll over to the cry of Roll Tide Roll. You have to give credit where credit is due - Les Miles has done quite well with the Tigers since the departure of Nick Saban.  Miles has his quirks. Deep inside all of those idiosyncrasies is the heart of an old Big Ten man. The same conference that invented three yards and a cloud of dust was the birthplace of Les Miles. He believes in sound fundamentals and players that can physically abuse you. Sound familiar? Nick Saban and Les Miles may have different approaches in getting ready for a game. In the game both teams are very similar. Each team is going to pound you to death. Earlier this week I said that the quarterbacking could be the difference. I think LSU has an advantage in the kicking game and my old buddy worry keeps reminding me of what Paul Bryant felt about the importance of the kicking game. Surely to heavens, there is someone on campus that can consistently send kickoffs sailing outside the end zone? In a game where small things may become big things, kicking might make the difference. I'm sorry. I just can't shake my worry about this game. Common sense dictates that we should all worry. TiderInsider reverse button

No comments:

Post a Comment