Sunday, September 8, 2013

Washington State stuns So. Cal 10-7...


 

 
Leach pulls a stunner in LA...
 

         
Lane Kiffin is gone at USC
 
Poor Lane Kiffin.  I say that with absolutely no sincerity.  I have about the same amount of sympathy for Kiffin as I would a serial killer getting caught and dying in a shootout. Lane Kiffin can be tossed in the Johnny Manziel category.  Both are arrogant human beings whose time is coming.  They both share that "lack of class and character gene" in my opinion.     Mike Leach goes back to Pullman, Washington the toast of the town. Lane Kiffin wakes up this morning in LA as toast. Kiffin is through at USC, one of the most storied football programs in NCAA history. The only question left is what poor school will be sucker enough to hire this loser in the future.

 
  
       It's hard to put the WSU win in perspective as it relates to their Auburn loss. In some way it makes Auburn look better today but I'm not sure exactly how.  Southern California isn't worth a tinker's damn. Washington State surprised me with their play at USC and on the Plains. Auburn has won two games now but both were at home and neither were very impressive. Still, the Tigers have won almost as many games as they did last season. That is a step in the right direction. And the Cougars credit for winning a game with their defense. That is probably a first for Mike Leach as a head coach. Leach might have been wrong about saying the bottom of the PAC-12 is better than the bottom of the SEC. Seems to me that USC might be the bottom feeders.

 

 
    Manziel passed for over 400 yards against Stephen F. Austin. The Aggies looked great on offense and iffy on defense.  I think that TAM should beat Alabama in College Station despite the odds-makers. Bet that doesn't happen however.  Saban has been looking forward to this game for a long time.  I don't think you can stop Manziel short of some type of criminal indictment, but 'Bama doesn't have to shut him down. The only need to slow him  down.  If Bama makes some real progress on their offensive line they will win. If not, they lose.  I'd rather the devil set up housekeeping next door to my home than having to watch Manziel gloat over beating Bama again. I'd almost rather lose to Auburn. One thing in common to the rare Bama losses of the past few seasons - great quarterbacking did them  in. A&M has that despite what type person Manziel may be. I'm interested in how his team responds to his leadership when things don't go so well.  All things considered, I'm a little surprised that Alabama is a 7 point favorite on the road. Their offensive performance against Virginia Tech doesn't provide a lot of confidence in my mind. On the other hand, TAM hasn't been the Rock of Gibraltar on defense.  I can hardly wait for the game to begin, but probably will be barely able to watch it when it arrives.  Someone asked me if Bama's defense is better than TAM's offense? Good question. I think another question is can 'Bama sustain some long drives to keep the Bama out of Johnny Punk's hands.   

No comments:

Post a Comment