Friday, October 23, 2015

Tennessee is still a big deal...

NEVER OVERLOOK THE 'VOLS...

     
Butch Jones
     Back in the day.  Back in the day the Alabama/Tennessee game was the as big as it got. Of course, that was back in the day. That was back in the day when Peyton Manning worked part time as a band director. What’s the number now? Is it eight straight? I can’t recall that any of those last eight games being very competitive. I remember my grandfather closing his cafe in Cleveland, Alabama to listen to the game on the radio. He never did that when Alabama played Auburn. But that was all back in the day.

          Now Tennessee comes to town with Butch Jones as their head football coach. That’s the same Butch Jones that looks like a Marine Drill Sargent. He is supposedly the second coming of fat Phil Fulmer. He was the coach of Tennessee back in the day when the Vols had good football teams. It’s kind of strange how far Tennessee football has fallen. I know the
Phil Fulmer
Vols had a big comeback win against Georgia. I also know that Nick Chubb got hurt and didn’t play but a bit at the start of the game. I also remember we beat Georgia on the road, by a score of a lot to a little. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the ‘Vols. You see that back in the day they were really great. If ‘Bama players won a hard earned victory, they smoked a cigar in the bowels of Neyland Stadium. The rest of us smoked a stogie in the driveway. Those were heady days. These days seems more relaxed. Older fans still worry about Tennessee. It’s part of Alabama’s tradition when Tennessee comes in the our stadium in those awful orange uniforms. There is Tennessee Orange and Auburn orange.  Auburn orange is merely awful. Tennessee orange is worse. Back in the day it was a lot worse. Today the ‘Vols seem to have forsaken their old orange and wear a lot of gray.  Can you imagine Alabama doing that?

    
Robert Neyland, Tennessee's General
   Whatever happened to Tennessee? They have become almost irrelevant. ‘Bama fans have become irreverent. Let me toss out a warning. Never understand Tennessee football when they play the Alabama Crimson Tide. I always fear that the ghosts of Tennessee past will somehow find their way back on the field against ‘Bama.  Okay, I know that sounds odd. Tradition is a strange member of every team. You can’t find him in the lineup. He’s there however. He is always there, waiting for his opportunity to steal a win when his team is losing. You can’t see him, but you can sense his presence.

          I know it isn’t practical to worry about Tennessee. But old habits die hard don’t they? Plus, the ‘Vols have one of those quarterbacks who run around like an energizer bunny. When you are an older Alabama fan you can find something to worry about. That’s my worry about the game. Realistic? Probably not. Am I always realistic? No, I’m not, and I’m telling all Alabama fans - do not overlook Tennessee. This is one of those series that seem to swing back and forth, and we never know when the swing will occur. Of course, it would be silly not to pick 'Bama by 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment