Saturday, December 26, 2020

 Being a Tide basketball fan is tough...


    When you are an Alabama basketball fan, you learn to suffer but always hope. You hope for things you may never see. You try to believe in the future. It rarely comes true; you still return to hoping.  You wish for something that may never occur. Wait, that's not correct. You want something that probably won't come true. Still...


   You can always try to temper your expectations, but the love of anything makes that impossible.  Whether it's a woman or basketball, we all make horrible decisions. It seems we are incapable of being rational. For some reason, the suffering never eradicates our desire to see Alabama become a basketball power.  Take me, for example. I continue to believe that the next coach at Alabama will change things. I started loving Alabama when Johnny Dee coached the Rocket Eight. 


   I watched the longest shot in college basketball. George Linn launched a Foster Auditorium shot that went through the rafters and bottomed out 88 feet and 11 inches later.  The North Carolina head coach had the forethought to mark the spot.    Today, I still believe that Jerry Harper is one of the greatest Alabama players to lace 'em up. As a senior in '55-'56, he averaged 19 rebounds a game.  Think about that for a moment. Let that sink as the current vernacular of social media says.  


    Today, I think how good this current team would be if Leon Douglas walked on the court, or how about Roy Rogers?  There is always an enigma, isn't there? It is a puzzle we can't seem to solve.  Something is forever missing. We are one player short; we can't make free throws or fall one win short of making the NCAA Tournament. The ball is round, so it should bounce straight, but it doesn't. It is as if the laws of gravity conspire against us.  If Alabama basketball was a story, it would be a Grecian tragedy.  Perhaps the football team uses all the good luck up before the basketball season begins. I just don't know. 


   In my lifetime, I have seen the two great Alabama teams. The first would be the 1987 team coached by Sanderson. Derrick Mckey was the Alabama star.  The 1976 team was far and away  the best team Alabama put on the floor. A couple of years after that loss to Indiana,  I sat next to Bobby Knight in Birmingham, watching a hoop star the Hoosiers wanted to sign.  He told me that Alabama was the best team in the NCAA in 1976. He quickly added next to Indiana. He kind of threw in the next to Indiana part to cover his bases. In my opinion, Alabama has had three top-notch coaches. Those are John Dee, Wimp Sanderson, and C.M. Newton. Of the three, I'd put Wimp first. But it is a close call. Most fans don't remember Coach Dee. 


    I've been blessed to see a lot of things. I saw Wendall Hudson play his first game at Alabama. He was the first black American player for Alabama. I got to be friends with several SEC coaches I still call friends. I watched Alabama play all over the world. In the summer, the players invited me to play half-court games with them. I've seen some sad things. I went to Charles Cleveland's funeral.  What a pleasure knowing the players and coaches. I used to radio shows with Ben Cook and Herb Winches. It was to promote basketball because it was the red-headed child of Alabama sports. I started a blog for basketball fans.  It still it. 


   None of this means Alabama can't be better again. After all, hope springs eternal. It will cause me suffering but perhaps brings me joy. It is a cross that Alabama basketball fans carry. Roll Tide and Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you and your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment