Friday, January 8, 2021

 

THE AP COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD NEEDS TO SOME WORK...

    Initially, let me say that I do not know Jamey Chadwell. The coach of the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers football team had a great season. They were undefeated until Liberty University beat the 37-34 in their last game of the year. None of this is relevant for Alabama football fans. I thought a Chanticleer was what Col. Sanders used to make KFC. Most of us had no idea that Coastal Carolina even played Division One football. Heck, I didn't even know they played football at all. 

    At any rate, the Associated Press named Chadwell is their Coach of the Year. Excuse me for a moment while I go to my bathroom and barf. Nick Saban didn't win it again. I stress the again part. Naming Chadwell Coach of the Year is like me winning in my senior golf league tournament, being named Golfer of Year, and leaving Dustin Johnson scratching his head. Now, none of this means that Chadwell isn't a good coach. You don't win 10 games and be a bad coach. 

     Nick Saban has won the award twice. Once, he was the head coach at LSU and then at Alabama. The AP Coach of the Year Award had been in existence since 1998. It has a long list of questionable coaches. In my opinion, the Coach of the Year should be awarded to the Coach, who wins the National Championship. Perhaps the award should be awarded after the conclusion of the College Football Playoff. The AP hands out their award the week before the National Championship game. That is short-sided. 

    Cinderella stories are well received. That is understandable. Coastal Carolina didn't beat ten SEC teams, and then the first game against Notre Dame. If Coastal Carolina played ten SEC teams, they'd likely lose all ten games. So, let's give Chadwell a pat on the back, and a hardy well done old boy, and then give the Award to the Coaches who win the National Championship or at least get their teams in the CFP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment