Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Saban to leave Bama?

rumors push ratings...

     Mike and Mike in the mornings?  How about Mike and Mike in the land of make believe? Remember the days when sports reporters actually reported sports? Now, many reporters push themselves to be the story. It has long been my personal belief that any reporter who will not reveal a source should not be allowed to spread rumors as news. It's not like sports are on the level of Watergate. If I have someone who gives me information and doesn't want his or her name divulged it puts you in a tough spot. What I do (if I believe they have told me the truth) is to give the reader some direction of where I got the information. For example, if an assistant coach gives me some inside information it is easy to say "someone close to the player or the program". That gives the reader an understanding of where the information might come from. Close to the program or player might mean coach, the player himself, a trainer, a mom or dad. Sometimes it might be a girlfriend, or teacher. I'll tell who it never will be. Someone who says they no something but can't tell we who or how they learned a fact.

       After reporting on basketball recruiting do you have any idea how many people I've met. Literally, that means hudreds of coaches, assistant coaches, and players. Of course, you have to remember that often someone tell me something to see what the public reaction might be. The other day I had a person tell me that they knew for a fact that Rueben Foster had flipped to 'Bama. Hey, that's a big story. When I pressed him for details he said "I promised not to reveal". You can forget that. If a coach tells me the same thing,  I write about it. I am not saying that any player is flipping to Alabama and that needs to be made perfectly clear.

        Nick Saban to Cleveland and the Browns? It's someone pushing a rumor, a falsehood, or whatever society calls lies and liars these days they should be called out. . You could name thousand reasons why Nick Saban would not leave Alabama. If you could name a million more reasons for Sabin to stay at Bama, some broadcasters would spread a lie to improve their ratings. Mike and Mike in Morning is merely a lie from two has  beens and wanna be's.  That's the real story here,and it is one that will never find it's way to the news or airwaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment