Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sunseri has successful surgery...

Vinnie says he will be back in 4 months...
Spring practice possible...

    
  As a person who has had a severed ACL and subsequent surgery I can tell you that Sunseri can come back after surgery, and be fine. There are essentially two ways to repair an ACL. It depends on whether the ACL is torn or severed. You still have two  basic methods regardless. First, the ACL can be sown back together if not severed.  The partial tear usually results in some type of surgical "sewing" the ACL back together. A severed ACL can be sewed back together also. Or the the patient have  a donor ACL  or a ligament from the thigh can be grafted in lieu of a donor. I had a donor ACL. My left ACL was completely severed. Contrary to popular belief not all ACL injuries are overtly painful. Mine wasn't. I knew something was wrong but thought I had just popped my joint. Two holes later as I left the golf course I knew different. My left knee looked like it had a softball grafted inside.

   
  Dr. Bill Garth, who was UAB's orthopedic sports medicine did the honors. We waited a few days after the diagnosis to allow the swelling to recede. When it did, he went in and did his best. His best was beyond excellent. I was back on the golf course in three weeks. Today, my left knee is better than the other knee. My rehab was uneventful and shorter than planned. I had, what the good Dr. said, a remarkable recovery for some in their early 50's. Of course, I wasn't going to return to the college gridiron. I'm sure the strength needs are very different from someone who wants to play golf and someone who plays football. If anyone can pull of a Dee Hart it is Vinnie Sunseri. He'll still be a team leader even if he is not on the field.

     Joe Namath questions Saban's use of starters on special teams. He has a point. Saban has a point. You have to understand that Namath is speaking from a position of someone who had knee trouble his entire career. He's bound to be a little biased, and I respect him as a person and his opinion. I bet this injury is going to cause Saban to reassess his use of starters. He may continue to use them. Perhaps he won't use them when the Tide has a lead. He could split the baby.  It is entirely logical that Vinnie comes back to 100%. Modern orthopedic surgical skills and techniques are remarkable. It is a shame that Namath wasn't able to have such skills for his knees. He might have set records never to be broken. We'll very likely to see #3 back during the spring and starting in the fall.

      A special thanks to my wonderful wife, Sharon, who literally nursed me back to health. She worked at UAB and was my nurse.  That's how we met.  Every dark cloud indeeds has a silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment