Saturday, November 7, 2015




GAME TIDE APPROACHES …

        I have no idea how you guys feel. My nerves are just about shot thinking about this weekend. The Alabama and LSU game has become a Maalox moment has far as I am concerned.  It is one of those games you can tape, later see who wins, and then decide whether you want to watch what happened. This morning found me wishing there was this wedding invitation I had to attend. 
       My gut feels wrenched. My head feels like a steel band has been has been wrapped around my head, and someone is turning the lever to make it even tighter.  I will play golf this afternoon and tape the game.  No, that won't work because my concentration will be non-existent. Plus, I don't have the self-restraint to ignore my smart phone. So what the heck can I do?
        I'll man-up. Just need to remove any object that could be thrown at the television.  Pull up the recliner and watch every play. After all, I'll be wearing my lucky tee shirt. The Bama flag is hanging from the outside, and it has never seen a losing game. My wife will have her lucky socks on as well. In addition to all that we have our Roll Tide Roll sign, our Crimson Elephant, and every 'Bama ticket stub we've ever used. Okay, I'm starting to feel better. Not a lot better, but my pulse has slowed down enough I may avoid a stroke. Maybe. Hopefully.
     I called my cousin who played college football. He knows as much about football as any man I know. He tells me that if ‘Bama plays error free football they will win. Yeah, like you can predict that right? He has been correct 18 out of the last 21 games. I’m not talking about the betting line. I’m referring only to who wins. Three hours and fifteen minutes to go. That much time to wait will take at least 24 hours in actual worry time. He also told me he thought that Arkansas had a better than average chance  to beat Ole Miss. I flipped over to the Arkansas game and low and behold the Razorbacks, god love ‘em, are ahead 14-7. Perhaps there is real  hope here. Of course, as the fates would have it, Ole Miss about to score.
       I guess reverting to my old strategy is best. Have a beer or two, go heavy on the Chips and French dip. Load up on the carbs and cholesterol. Trust in Nick Saban. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. Trust Saban. That usually works.

No comments:

Post a Comment