Thursday, January 17, 2019

An exception to the general rule...

     Players transfer constantly. If they can't win a starting position they don't try the next season. They essentially quit. Sometimes transferring is justified. My belief is that more often than not there is no reason.  Lace 'em up next season and try to win a starting position. Loyalty is a word I don't anticipate modern players to know. I'm sure  I am just a product of my generation. When I was a junior in high school I had three offers to leave my high school and play at other places.  It might have been better for my 'career', but I couldn't walk out on my teammates. My senior season we had a decent season. Two of the other schools played the state tournament. My choice was whether I would honor the commitment I'd made to my friends. It was a good choice. Playing in a state tournament was a brief affair, but keeping my buddies was a lifetime deal. Many of them are now deceased. In my memory, I remember them as young, strong, and seemingly immortal.

       Jalen Hurts showed people a better way to transfer. He left a hero and a role model for thousands of young people. He grew in so many ways. Fate smiled on him and let him have the greatest game in his career. He never complained. He waited for his time against Georgia this season. He walked on that field as a player and left as a legend. He enrolled at Alabama as a  kid and left as a man. He taught us all a lesson about trust and persevering. When Jalen announced he was going to Oklahoma I smiled. He was going back to the SouthWest where he grew up. He is going to make Sooner fans proud. He made all us proud here in Alabama. He suffered a lot of negative thoughts from immature people who can post behind the secrecy of a screen name. He suffered,  but in the end, he shined like the star he was all along. Thanks,  Jalen.


No comments:

Post a Comment