Monday, January 7, 2019

MY PICK FOR THE WINNER AND WHY


    Round four of the Clemson versus Alabama is teeing up tonight. You're nervous. You need some reassurance from someone who believes Alabama will win. I have just finished reading my 100th prediction. Bama is picked by 92 of those prognosticators. That doesn't count the betting houses who pick  Bama to win. Not all of them say it will be a nip and tuck game either. I saw a 52-21 prediction. Granted, most are close. Either 'Bama wins the game, or a lot of "experts" will have to eat crow. I'm picking Alabama to win 35-28. Why?

1. Alabama has the best quarterback in the nation, regardless of the Heistman Trophy rip off; yes,  I said Heist.


2. This isn't the greatest Alabama defense since Saban came to Tuscaloosa. But it is good enough to get a few three and outs and let the offense do their magic. Christian Miller will be missed, but his backups are good players.


3. Alabama has played defenses better than Clemson. Namely, LSU, Mississippi State, Auburn, and Georgia.  All the SEC games featured good defenses. 


4. The Clemson offense hasn't had to beat a really good defense in my opinion. I suppose Notre Dame's defense was the best they played. No disrespect to the Irish but I believe Alabama might have scored 50. I don't believe Notre Dame should have been selected for the playoffs.


5. Clemson has a great running back. I'll buy into the hype when he runs against Alabama's defense. He is good, however.


6. The Clemson quarterback has a potential upside. Sure he does but he hasn't had to operate against a defensive line as good as Alabama. My take is Bama will control the line of scrimmage with their front four. If that happens it will be a tough game for the Tigers.


7. Nick Saban is a great coach. He has been preparing for Clemson since the latter part of the season I bet.


8. I think Alabama has the best offensive coordinator.  He has some games under his belt to prove that already. 


9. Are the wideouts and tight end the best group of receivers in the nation? I think so.


10. Alabama's secondary has had some bad games and some great games. They concern me, but they are better than Clemson's DBs.


11. I understand the "greatness" of the Tiger's defensive line. They are really good, but I think Alabama's offensive line is the best they have faced. In all fairness, they have lost the bell cow of the group. 



No comments:

Post a Comment