Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Let's go for two birds this week...

The most wonderful wife in the world
    First and foremost my family wishes your family a Happy Thanksgiving.  I have been blessed with a wonderful wife, two lovely daughters, plus Henry and Annie, our boxer chilldren. I know it is corny to say but I honestly feel that we are blessed in being a part of a larger family - the  Alabama Nation. I'm now in my middle sixties and even though the sports part of being a family member is becoming less important, the relationships I have developed over the years with other Alabama fans  have been gratifying. In my family we simply do not understand why anyone could be a Auburn fan when the greatest football program in the history of the world is here for them. I remain baffled by this obvious poor thinking. I suspect genetics is involved. 


    I think that throwing toilet paper in a tree is an odd and rather unique tradition of celebrating football wins. But toilet paper? Bonfires, a pep rally, dressing in school colors, and having a great mantra to shout are great traditions.Cheering on the Charmin doesn't cut it in my book. Whether it is 'War Eagle' or 'Roll Tide' you have to admit those are pretty school cheers. Today, I went to  'Bama Fever' for a few new items to give to my West Coast friends this weekend. There were were 18 people in store, and 4 of them were over in the Auburn section. Auburn apparel wasn't exactly flying off the shelf. On the other side of the store, the Bama section, it was wall to wall. 


Henry in his game day wear
One man bought 20 tee shirts. I have no idea of what you would do with 20 Bama tee shirts, but this guy was happy to find them at $8.99 a piece. Just standing by the cash register, I heard people ask the shopkeeper where are the Bama monopoly games, what about bag tags for air flights. Where are the basketball tee shirts, do you think my wife who is a 32DD would look good in this tee shirt. I had to interject that I thought she'd look good in  anything,() or for for that matter without anything.) Then I noticed he was holding an Auburn tee shirt. Somehow thinking of this man's wife in an Auburn tee shirt seemed silly given her other obvious qualifications. The man was a 'Bama fan. We all expressed our sorrow and concern. "What's a man to do, if you know what I mean,?  Was how he justified his current situation. We all assured him we did understand. As he walked off with his tee shirt another  man said, "damn shame". Oh yeah, its game week. One father was trying to explain to his young daughter she needed an Auburn sweat shirt because everyone else in the family was Aubie. Her witty reply was "no way, not today, that's all I have to say - Roll Tide, Daddy".  Trying to convince to turn Aubie was child abuse in my opinion. It is also a fruitless gesture as any Alabama fan could have explained to the father if he had asked anyone. 


Annie has her game face on...
Another lady wanted to know if they had a hounds tooth jacket to match her husband's hat. Of course, they had a jacket, a muffler, and probably a discount on a hounds tooth paint job for your F-150 truck. Everyone was saying "Roll Tide" to one another as a greeting and a acknowledgment of their recognition that they were members of the same family. Car Magnet A's were bought, a couple of Iron Bowl Tickets were sold, and children were trying on winter Bama wear to see if it fit. It was a grand old time for every 'Bama fan in the store. I'm sure a similar scene was being played out somewhere in Auburn as well. The 'protect the trees vigilante squad' was dressing out in orange and blue camouflage, deer stands were on the trees already. Oh yeah its game week. That means turkey on Friday and Eagle on Saturday. It doesn't get any better than that does it?


I am thankful for so many things in my life, but mainly I am thankful to have all of you in the family. Roll Tide...


By the Way... Alabama 28 - Auburn 7  

No comments:

Post a Comment