Thursday, November 10, 2011

What Auburn fans just don't understand about Alabama fans...


Will AU fans ever get it?

     I have been listening to all the Auburn fans twisting the knife in the back of Alabama supporters. Some of the callers were doing so in jest. Others were insulting. My best golfing buddy, Don, is an Auburn fan, a Pentecostal, and a Republican. I’m none of those things. Over the years people have asked us how can you play golf together almost every week for 40 years. We discuss matters of faith. We argue about politics. We never talk about football. That makes our relationship different.

     It is always amusing to me that Auburn fans believe that Alabama fans hang on every word that comes out of Plains. Life can be reduced to three emotions – Love, hate, and indifference. Show me a person who is going through a divorce and are full of anger and hate and show you a person who is still emotionally attached. The same love. Indifference is a totally different animal altogether. If you are indifferent to something it means you just don’t care. That’s how I react to anything Auburn.  I just don’t care what the Tigers do or say. The success of Alabama’s program is not based on Auburns success of failures. I couldn’t tell you the names of five starters for the Tigers. I do know about Michael Dyer. I also know something about their starting quarterback because he graduated from a small AA classification high school.  That’s a good story and big jump for an AA kid. They have a wide-out named Blake. That’s it. Not a single other starter comes to mind.  I know the name of the head coach.  I also am familiar with Trooper Taylor who someone at AU needs to suggest decaf to him.

     When Auburn plays I don’t watch if I can play golf and Alabama is not on the Cable. I guess the most positive feeling about AU is that if they have a good season it makes us look better if we win.  When Alabama and Auburn play I can’ say there is some extra emotion involved. But that emotion is strictly selfish. Auburn loses and I don’t have to listen to my AU fans rub it in. When we win I don’t ever even mention the win to Auburn fans.

     That is what I believe that AU fans can’t grasp. We simply don’t care. Nope, not one little bit. All I know is something that the late John Wooden once said to me – You don’t win by preparing for another team. You win by having your team prepared. He said that to a lot of people, not just to me. So when Auburn and Georgia plays this weekend I don’t care who wins. Seriously, at this very moment I can’t tell you if the game is in Auburn or Georgia. It is a big rivalry for both teams. They care a lot about the outcome. I suspect that most Alabama fans don’t give a tinker’s damn one way or the other. One week of each year I do get fired up. That’s game week. Even though I have never said a single word to any AU fan about Bama wins I know they will not do the same.
I find most Auburn fans mildly amusing. Kind of like the Three Stooges. s

  

No comments:

Post a Comment