Thursday, November 3, 2011

Will Saturday ever get here?

      Okay, I'll admit it. I'm as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. Whoever scheduled an open date before the LSU/'Bama game should be drawn and quartered. No avid football fan can live in this land of limbo for two weeks before loosing all sense and sensibility. This game has has been debated and argued about to the point of being ridiculous. One thing is certain from listening to all the television and radio personalities who have attempted to predict the score. No one has the foggiest idea of who will win. It has been my observation that the money men in Vegas have a better grasp on games than anyone. Right now the number has Alabama a 5 1/2 favorite. The number has gone up from 3 in the last 12 days. (update: Bama is now -4.5)


     I promised myself that today was the day I'd make my pick. Now I could do something really stupid like saying take LSU and the points but that doesn't really pick a winner. So what I'll say is take LSU and the points and Alabama will win the game. I like 'Bama to  win the game 14-10. There are two reasons: First, the game is being played in Tuscaloosa. Second, I think from top to bottom the Tide has better players. If character of individuals count that will 'Bama the edge. If being a character will help a team then any team that would allow Jordan Jefferson back on the field has the edge. Ironically, all the suspended LSU players have been re-instated for the big game. That will really teach 'em Les.


      Top to bottom LSU is solid. They have a good coach, a good offense, a good defense, great team doctors, and the best criminal defense attorney money can buy. Speaking of buying something it is great to know that the District Attorney's office in Baton Rouge is still doing business as usual. In Louisiana you have the 99% and the 1%. They you have the LSU athletic program.  In Baton Rouge the LSU staff has to guard the game plan and all those get out of jail free cards.  


     A further breakdown leads me to believe:


1. Fumbles lost will be big - neigher team turns the ball over often - call it even


2. The teams are close athletically - Only one team has Don'ta Hightower and Trent Richardson


3. Both teams will be ready with a good game plan. Each team will have broken down not only their oppositions films but there own as well. Look for both teams to run some gimmick plays 
off something that looks familiar to the defense.


4. I doubt that either teams will make a lot of mental errors, although the LSU penalty yards has to be a concern with Tiger coaches.


5. I think LSU has an edge in the quarterbacking due to experience, but not talent. I don't think that Jefferson's ability to run the option will matter much.


6. I'm sure the SEC will put the best officiating team on the field they have to offer.


7. Home field will matter, but great teams are effected less by being on the road. Truly great teams enjoy playing on the road. 


8. I'm not sure how to say that the problems that Tuscaloosa has endured this year has created a unique bond between the team and City,  and if it possible for a crowd to "will" a win it might happen. 


9. In my humble opinion that if Alabama can stop Rueben Randall  the Tide as a better chance will win. I just don't believe the Tigers can run on the Tide. 


10. The team that covers punts the best will likely win. That doesn't mean the team that kicks punts the longest will win. 


I've tried every way possible to believe that LSU will win this game. I can't come up with that scenario.  The Tigers can win. But they won't. Alabama is on a collision course for its next national championship. Bama 14-10, but a beat down by 'Bama late wouldn't stun me. 
     


Back to Tider Insider:

No comments:

Post a Comment