Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Alabama plays Oklahoma State tonight...

Not the BCS game for the Oakies, but close enough...

    I got an email from an OSU fan yesterday. Didn't know the man but he and his son are coming to the BJCC tonight to watch the Tide and OSU square off - in basketball.  We exchanged telephone numbers and one thing led to another and he and his son are staying at my home for a couple of days.  We talked a lot and expect to talk even more about the BCS hoopla and the exclusion of Oklahoma State. He felt the Cowboys were a victim of a very biased media. I told him it was one thing to lose to LSU in your worse played game all season than lose to Iowa State who plays Gene Chizik's recruits. None of our talking will lead to anything more than good natured jawing. The  fan said something that made me know just how lucky Tide fans are to be... well, Tide fans. "You guys," he said, "get to play in national championship games all the time. For us, it might be a once in a lifetime experience."  Okay, I have to admit that tugged on the old heartstrings for a minute. It is also the reason that we need some type of playoff or plus one system. 


     This man made a lot of sense. The essence of his argument was how good would it be for Alabama and Oklahoma State play to see who plays LSU. He said that LSU could play Boise State or TCU and put an end to that "little boy" football mythology once and for all. I liked that idea. I have no problem believing that 'Bama is better than OSU and deserves to play LSU. The Tide earned that right by virtue of the current system. It is what it is so to speak. Still, his idea was intriguing and would add a lot of excitement and money to college teams. With two SEC teams in the four team playoff the SEC payday would be around 75 million, up from the projected 56.2 million. That is a lot of money, or as my late father would say - "we could pay down most of our credit cards." 

     I'm one of the few that believe there is nothing basically wrong with the current system. It seems to me that the BCS Championship game has always been between the best two teams at the end of a season. I would like to see something that says if you lose your last game you can't play in the BCSNCG.  However, you can almost hear the Cajun screams  at the mere suggestion that had Georgia beaten the Tigers they had to go play in the Orange Bowl or something.  I believe that losing a conference championship game should be a lot more damaging than losing an earlier regular season game. Luckily for the all of us the NCAA hasn't phone me for my opinion to date. I'm just saying...


     So come on out tonight and watch the game. OSU is the Auburn of Oklahoma according to the few OU fans I know. Oklahoma fans are arrogant and have a superiority complex according to OSU fans. Sound familiar? My new OSU buddy said they be a thousand or so fans pulling for the Cowboys tonight. I told him it all depended on how many Auburn fans showed up to hope Bama gets beat...You know they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment