Thursday, February 16, 2012

Judgement tempered with mercy...

Where is the balance in discipline?

     I was in Court today and heard a lawyer pleading a case for his client to receive a lighter sentence. His argument went something like this - My client is guilty, he is remorseful, and he is immature. If you sentence him to a short stretch he will learn his lesson. If you sentence him to five years he will become embittered, learn a lot to new criminal skills, and never be a productive person. It was a valid argument if we lived in a state where rehabilitation of criminals is important. Most elected officials hand out stiff sentences to insure their re-election. No doubt some do deserved long sentences. I'm not saying some don't. But you simply can't paint every person in life with the same brush. There are different brush strokes for different folks so to speak. I'm not sure that it is wise to lump everyone together and expect positive results.  A judge can't do that and neither can a coach. Discipline can seem to light to some people but in reality it is crushing. I submit that you can't help build character with discipline alone. It is a combination of a lot of things, and that finding  the correct discipline is essential. I'm not saying that we all go down to the river and sing Cumbaya. I am suggesting that the person receiving  the discipline isn't always going to respond in the manner we expect. You suspend one player for 3 games and it  might make the player straighten up, but the same 3 games will discourage another player forever. Being humbled will make some players see the light, and make another give up. 


All of this led me to thinking about Green and Mitchell. At what point does punishment become counter productive? I don't have a ready answer because I don't think there is a standard answer for every problem. Mitchell and Green are not bad kids. They are moody. I could talk about their early years and the blows that life dealt each of them. That was then and this is now. I think each of us is the sum of all our experiences we have learned from all our days before. I know that Mitchell and Green are moody and easily discouraged. They are both easily frustrated. I think the burden of leadership has not helped Green at all. Some people are not leaders, and that is okay. Some of us have trouble just making it from day to day and I think that the pair fit that profile. Green is a senior, he has missed two games we might have won had he played. Here's what I wonder. Does missing the games teach him anything or does it just lower his personal life expectations even more? The same with Mitchell. Of the two I think that Mitchell will actually learn from the punishment than Green. When does something stop being punishment and start  becoming overkill?


I think the pair have served their time, and should be allowed back for the Tennessee game.
Even though we might not know until game time, the time is right for allowing them to play. I wouldn't blame Grant for holding back the info if he decides to let them play. I think the fans are ready to forgive the pair for whatever they did. Americans love a comeback. If the pair could turn around the season and lead the Tide to an NCAA berth do you think that such an  accomplishment would be positive reinforcement and allow the lesson is that discipline can lead to better things? Perhaps then it will let them know what they can do if they apply themselves by following the rules? Grant is the boss. The players know that. I suspect that the new guys are probably learning more than the duo because they already knew what the rules mean. When you bench your top two players that says a lot about how serious he is about the rules. Rules are important. People are more important. They are not mutually exclusive but it is foolish to think that all kids will respond to discipline in the manner Coach would like. I think the real key to discipline is to find what works without hurting player's future. The distance between discipline and being stubborn is pretty short.


None of this means that Anthony Grant is wrong in what he is doing. He could be absolutely correct in every area. All I am saying is that discipline is a fragile goal for anyone. I think that what Grant did with the pair was correct. I'm wondering if now is the time to temper his idea of judgement with mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment