Saturday, February 18, 2012

Letter to Coach Saban

This is the body of my recent letter to Coach Saban that you requested to see

Dear Coach Saban,

     I recently posted an article on my blog page that suggested you acted unfairly in the manner in which the recruitment of the Vigor High School student, Darius Philon, ended.  I have included you an Internet link to the site as well as the enclosed color copy of the article itself. Many of your fans suggested that I had treated you very unfairly in characterization of your actions on the time leading up to National Signing date. And let you tell you, you have a lot of fans.

     It was never my intent to demonize you in way. I think the point I was trying to make is very clear, and you can see so yourself if you read the article. I have reviewed the letter and do think that some of what I wrote was over the top. For that tone in article I most certainly offer you an apology, and for any incorrect factual mistakes as well. I now make that apology hoping you will accept it. I am sorry.

     My parents, the late Big Bill and Carolyn Ellis, taught me to say you are wrong when you act improperly. In many ways it seems our parents had a great deal in common. Of course, I never had the pleasure of meeting your parents but they sound like they were wonderful people. My father owned a service station where I spent many hours pumping gas, wiping windshields, giving a lot of directions. We also had a little ice cream shop on the far end of the station. It was nothing fancy, we sold scooped ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, and made milk shakes. I grew up in the middle of the Blount County, which sounds a lot like your county. It is the last official county in the Appalachian Mountains so we got a lot of those federal programs which were extended to poor Americans.

     Again, please accept my apology for anything that you consider unfair or incorrect, I look forward to meeting you and extending this apology in person.


With Kindest Regards,


William A. Ellis, III

No comments:

Post a Comment