Thursday, January 5, 2012

Landon Collins wins the heart of the Bama Nation ...

A tough night for a great young man



Landon Collins
Collins rolls with Tide despite mother's wishes...

     Alabama got a big verbal commitment from Landon Collins the best high school safety in America according to Rivals.com. Like a lot of people in this state,  my wife and I were watching the Under Armour Game. We wanted to see where Landon was going to spend the next two or three years of his life. The young man did not drag out his decision like some kids do. He just said, “I have two words, Roll Tide.”  Alabama fans exploded with happiness at the news. 



     It was the biggest moment in the young man’s life. It turns out it was the biggest in more ways than one.  His mother, seated next to him, frowned and scowled and generally acted like a two year old who doesn’t get their way.  Ma’am whatever your name is I can tell you why Landon chose to leave Louisiana. I bet the rest of the nation as a pretty good idea as well. That moment was Landon’s. It wasn’t yours. If any of us had been in your place and our son who lived in Alabama said he was choosing to attend LSU we would have bit our tongues, swallowed our disappointment, and put on a gold hat while saying, “Geaux Tigers.” 


Welcome to Alabama 
    Disappointment is one thing, and being selfish is another. Some Alabama fans believe Landon will end up with the Tigers. I don’t. Here’s why - you have backed your son into a corner. You have openly embarrassed Landon in public. You have brought shame upon yourself. If Landon had any lingering doubts in his mind about going to LSU, I bet he has none know. If he changed his mind he would be humiliated  for being a mama’s baby. He isn't a baby, he showed all of us he is a man. One thing most of us as parents have learned is that it might be okay to disagree with your young adult child but not in public. My daughter used to hold my hand when we were walking in the mall. One Saturday she didn’t or maybe the better expression was to say she wouldn’t. I immediately understood. She was growing up. I had to let her walk alone. It also reminded me that one day she’d walk away in a larger sense, and hurt as it might I had to help her with that walk. 


      I’d like to say to Landon how much I admire your decision. It wasn’t just about choosing the University of Alabama, but for making your own choice. Older men will understand why you did so, It felt right, and it was your time to break away and be a man. I don’t think for a minute your mom is a bad person. By now she has probably reflected upon her actions and apologized to you and your family. People handle bad news in many different ways, and not always like an adult even if the calendar might say you are one already.  But I would like to tell you that you are not losing your family. They all love you and most of them support you. Also you are gaining another family that will love and care about you in ways you do not yet understand. As time passes you will. At the University of Alabama we don’t talk much about being a family we just go about the business of being one. You have endeared yourself to so many people you can’t count them all in one lifetime. 


    When I was watching you play you already looked like a grown man. I had no idea your were already an adult. Alabama fans are glad to welcome you to your new home. It’s a humble home, full of decent hard working people. It’s the kind of home you can always come back to at anytime in your life.  Should the pressure become so great that you are forced to attend LSU people here will be sad, but because you are family we would understand, put on that gold hat and yell Geaux Tigers. That’s what families do to support one another. In closing I only have two words for you and I think you already understand the bigger mean of them - Roll Tide


Back to www.tiderinsider.com

No comments:

Post a Comment