Thursday, January 26, 2012

SEC OPINIONS - South Carolina next day observations

Bama needs to take stock of their character...


     I have to admit to a love of poetry. In 1920, Robert Frost wrote a most meaningful poem that still guides me in making decisions. The words are simple, but their meaning is profound. They are words which offer guidance and perhaps how to live your life. I'd like to offer the poem found in Frost's book Mountain Interval


The Road less taken


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,


And sorry I could not travel both




And be one traveler, long I stood




And looked down one as far as I could




To where it bent in the undergrowth;




Then took the other, as just as fair,




And having perhaps the better claim,




Because it was grassy and wanted wear;




Though as for that the passing there




Had worn them really about the same,




And both that morning equally lay.




In leaves no step had trodden black.




Oh, I kept the first for another day!




Yet knowing how way leads on to way,




I doubted if I should ever come back.




I shall be telling this with a sigh




Somewhere ages and ages hence:




Two roads diverged in a wood,




 and I took the one less traveled by and 




that has made all the difference.










     Now, the old dog here is not trying to wax poetic so to speak. But this is where the Alabama Men's basketball team now stands. They have two roads. One of those roads would be to give up, mail in the season, or try to pad individual statistics. That would be the easy way. I've never known Anthony Grant to take the easy way in anything. I bet if there was an easy button like on TV he would turn it down as a matter of principle. 




     I have to say I've never seen our coach look like he looked during or after the game. In speaking with the media he said, “From my vantage point tonight – you had a team, in South Carolina, that played inspired basketball,” UA head coach Anthony Grant said. “They played as a team. We didn’t. It’s been an issue for us and it continues to plague us.” There is one word in any sport that won't work - selfish. I'm not sure which player(s) that was meant to cover. I'd suspect Mitchell. I think Green and Mitchell are bumping heads on who needs to do what. 




     I continue to be more and more impressed with Levi Randolph. He didn't start on Wednesday and that surprised me. He is the ultimate team player, and as you each know I rated him above Lacey. So far that seems the true. Bama has lost some cohesiveness according to some since Steele has returned. Now Gueye is back. That isn't what Grant is talking about though. I don't know who is going to be in the doghouse but a coach can't make a public statement and it not cost someone minutes on the floor. Last night was as bad as it can get. I thought Vandy was that game. Wrong. Seriously, have you have ever seen a team in such a state on offense. Whoever is the yard dog here its an offensive problem because the defense has been pretty steady. Last night our defense was playing as bad as I've seen them. South Carolina shot 31 threes and made only 5. They shot 33% for the game and win. If you picked up the box score from any game as saw those stats you'd wonder just how bad that team got beat. That is how bad we played. I think the Arkansas game is going to be very, very  interesting. At least we may find out whose wearing the dog collar. 








No comments:

Post a Comment